Nxtsens is looking for a Patent Analyst to join our team. The candidate will be responsible for all aspects of Nxtsens’s intellectual property, from early stage R&D, to patent filing and maintenance. The candidate will gain experience managing a patent portfolio in several technology areas, including medical devices, semiconductor manufacturing, MEMS timing devices, and MEMS-based sensor devices.
The Patent Analyst will report directly to the Chief Technology Officer (CTO) and will be expected to work a total of 40 hours per week.
We are NXTSens Microsystems, a Montreal based scaleup focused on powering the future with microtechnology. Established out of a research team from McGill University, NXTSens is the growing company behind multiple businesses and technologies including MY01 and Stathera.
MY01 is a state-of-the-art medical diagnostic aid for the detection of acute compartment syndrome. Stathera is a business focused on delivering a suite of tailored timing and frequency reference solutions for the semiconductor industry. MY01 has been ranked among the top 50 Medtech's by Medtech Innovator (2018) and Stathera was the only Canadian company to make it to EE Times Silicon 60: 2018’s Emerging Companies to Watch.
We are currently seeking a Patent Analyst to join our growing team of diverse and inclusive individuals to focus on our Intellectual Property “IP” development and work alongside our Business Development team.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Manage the company’s Intellectual Property portfolio, maintaining up-to-date records of current and prospective patenting and licensing opportunities;
- Work alongside engineers and scientists to formulate invention disclosures and draft patent applications;
- Identify and provide detailed assessment of patentability of new innovations by utilizing patent databases, scientific journals, and other resources;
- Perform patent landscape analysis of fields that are of strategic importance to the company;
- Liaise with patent agents and lawyers that represent the firm to develop responses to patent office actions;
- Communicate results in oral presentations and written reports;
- Maintain proficiency with commercial patent databases that disclose technical publications;
- Collaborate with IP and Business teams to evaluate external IP portfolios;
- Support the maintenance and development of existing portfolio assets;
- Contribute to grant applications and scientific publications.
- PhD or MSc in engineering, the sciences, or other related field;
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience managing IP portfolios at a technology company, university, or law firm;
- Deep understanding of how a patent is structured, the patenting process, and have some experience assessing patentability;
- Prior experience drafting patents;
- Fluent in English with excellent written and verbal and communication skills.
- Works well under pressure and has great time management skills;
- Strong analytical skills to review and assess large quantities of data;
- Excellent research skills;
- Effective and clear communicator;
- Ability to work with a diverse team and collaborate with different departments.
NXTSens’ offices are located in the heart of downtown Montreal with direct bike path access, BIXI bike stands, close proximity to Place Des Arts metro station and multiple bus lines. We are an enthusiastic and energetic group of individuals committed to the success and well-being of our people. Some of our office perks include smoothies, coffees, bagels and other free snacks and treats at your disposal. Our office breakroom includes a ping-pong and foosball table and our kitchen is fully equipped to prepare your breakfast or lunch. We also host regular 5@7 events at the office and have our very own beer tap installed in our kitchen. What more could you ask for?
If you are looking to start your career with a supportive team, gain valuable work experience and have what it takes to work in a fast-paced start-up environment, please send us your resume, we would love to hear from you!
NXTSens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We are committed to creating a work environment based on mutual respect, hard work and inclusion without bias or discrimination. Our team is made up of people from all backgrounds and walks of life, and each member is valued for what they know and what they can contribute. As a collective we are continuously learning and encourage each other to push our boundaries and make mistakes we can all learn from. Those who do so will get an opportunity to grow with us and share in our success.